Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Be Prepared

I am registered nurse here in Philippines and just recently I got my license as a US RN state of Vermont. I must admit I don't have enough clinical experience for now but I can proudly say I have acquired improved nursing skills throughout my days as a nursing student and as a staff nurse for eight months at the local private hospital here.

One of the most important things I learned being a nurse is to make yourself familiar with the hospital equipments and medical supplies because you will never really know when the situation will call for an immediate response which will require the use of such equipments or medical supplies. Just like what I experienced when I had my duty at the surgical ward and we had a code blue. Unfortunately that time, our nursing assistant was new at the ward and she wasn't familiar where the needed equipments were. It was such a difficult situation because as a nurse I had to see first the patient then I had to quickly get the needed equipments myself because the nursing assistant just don't know what to do. Good thing the other health care staff rushed in immediately to help after we called for a code. After we were able to stabilized the patient, I finally had a breather. I said to myself, I should have a word with our new nursing assistant because this can't happen again if ever a situation like this would occur again. Whew! What a day!

1 comment:

  1. wow, scary! Good thing you knew what you were doing, hopefully she learned from that!

    ReplyDelete